Lugny, and the surroundings...

Lugny, small town of under a thousand inhabitants, is the small capital of the Haut-Mâconnais and the heart of the municipalities community of the Mâconnais-Val de Saône, grouping up twelve towns, and over six thousand inhabitants.

The cute town is at the very bottom of a valley, surrounded by hills covered in woods and wineyards, crossed by a little river, the "Bourbonne". It used to be the bed of a chivalry house, but its castle was mostly destroyed during the french Revolution, leaving behind only the two towers guarding the entrance, a part of its shared spaces, almost none of the walls, and the base of a tower.

The church's street and its lively stores.

Lugny is the home to a lot of different shops such as the butcher's and the bakery, but also two restaurants, two hairdressers, an optician, and the list goes on! Being the old capital of the district, it also has the infrastructures to offer the services it should, such as a post office, a bank office, a medical house with over 10 professionals, 2 primary schools and middle schools, and more.

The building "Les Halles".

Lugny is also a traditional village, having kept a large heirloom such as the houses of the Mâconnais, the washes, the wells, ... and even a pretty fountain at the heart of the main square, the "place du Pâquier", surrounded by four plane trees, all over 150 years old. Next to it lies a statue of a war soldier, acting as a memorial after the world wars.

The old houses of the Grande Rue

Dedicated to Saint-Denis, Lugny's patron, the church was built during 1824 and 1826. On the square next to said church, there is a memorial for the soldiers fallen during the franco-prussian war of 1870-71. On the close hill, called "Saint-Pierre" (St-Peter), used to lie a chapel, ruined and replaced in 1965 by a wine-tasting cellar whose reputation far exceeded the Mâconnais. This building offers a panoramic view over the vineyards of Lugny, and beyond this, the Saône valley, the Bresse, and finally, at the horizon, the Jura's mountains.

A pretty variety of orchids; one of many you can encounter during the spring.

Walking through the Charmes plateau, one can gaze at the vines sprawling everywhere around them. If they like adventuring in nature, they will be able to visit the Boucherette, inside Collongette, a hamlet close to Lugny, a natural site of over a hundred hectares. The discovery of this lovely place is guided by tags and signs, explaining the fauna and the flora surrounding them.

Macheron's vine ward, smart building of the end of the XVIIIth century.

Down from the Charmes plateau, one can find a "vine ward", built in the XVIIIth century upon a prehistorical cave. Between Macheron and the town, an elegant little stone bridge built in 1811 crosses the Ail, just before it goes into the Bourbonne.

The inside of the church "Notre-Dame-de-Pitié", in the hamlet called Fissy.

In Fissy, the other way around the Charmes plateau, the chapel "Notre-Dame-de-Pitié", is a endearing little edifice, which, no matter how many reworks it has gotten, keeps the spirit and the shapes of the primitive roman art. Not far from here, still in Fissy, lies a wash-house partly renewed thanks to the support of the Fondation du Patrimoine, presenting three quirks: being alimented by a source-well, having kept its trough, and owning a remarkable oak framework supporting a beautiful pyramidal roof.

Lugny's wine cellar, the greatest of Burgundy, produces wines of note.

The economic life of Lugny rests upon the vine culture, and over a quarter of the municipality's surface is planted with vine. Three out of the four typical grape varieties of Burgundy are planted: the chardonnay, gamay, and pinot-noir. The wine cellar of Lugny was created in 1927, was twinned with the cellar of Saint-Gengoux-de-Scissé in 1966, and was merged in 1994 with that of the village called Chardonnay, bed of the grape variety. This cooperative wine cellar is now the biggest of Burgundy - and only the third of France, regarding the wines "d'appellation d'origine contrôlée" (controlled name origin).